Monday, September 20, 2004

Here's to Brother Shrek, Brother Shrek, Brother Shrek...


Was going through the photos on my digital camera and found pictures of the Virgin Yard Glass Consumption Challenge 2004. The two 'best' Virgins of NUG that year (as selected by the Veterans) have to consume a yardie full of beer. The one who finishes fastest (handicaps may be added by Veterans at their discression) is declared the Best Virgin for that year. The Best Virgin is given Veteran status for the remainder of the evening.

The 2004 Best Virgin was awarded to Dave Ogilvy (Shrek). Here is Dave early in his consumption effort. I will continue to post pictures over the next few days.

Continuing on my description of my Mobile Music Selection, today we look at my Hip-Hop / R&B selection. I am sure some music aficionados will explain to me that this stuff is not Hip-Hop or R&B or something, but whatever....

From Black Eyed Peas - Elephunk

Hey Mama, Let's Get Retarded, Shut Up and The Boogie that Be.

I like these guys, they are very funky, playing in Brisbane too on 10 October at the Riverstage. Pity I will be flying back to Singapore, I reckon they would go off in concert. The concert is sold out, so bad luck if you want to go but don't have tickets!

Let's Get Retarded of course reminds me of NBA Finals 2004. ESPN used the more appropriate version Let's Get it Started as their add campaign as I watched my Detroit Pistons beat the Lakers in 5 to surprise just about everyone (even me) and win the title. When they went down 3-2 to the Nets after that double over time thriller in the Conference Semi's, I figured we were dead and buried.

The Boogie that Be reminds me of Billy. It was her favourite song for alot of the time we went out, and it brings back great memories. I realised just a few days ago that whenever you break up with someone you always focus on the negative. Screw that, we had a great time together, so why not cherish those memories. Boogie that Be is one way I can do that!

Chingy - One Call Away

I first heard this song on the way back from Maroochydore after a huge Southern Cross Cup win. Caity Dyne loved this song, I had never heard it before. I must say I love it now. It rocks!

Eve featuring Gwen Stefani - Let Me Blow Your Mind

This is a classic from 2001 Australian Uni Games (Sydney). This was UQ Basketball's song for at least a year.

Nelly - Hot in Here
Nelly, P Diddy & Murphy Lee - Shake Ya Tail Feather

Nelly, Hot in Here, 2002 AUG (Adelaide), Uni of NSW Girls team.

Outkast - Hey Ya

Outkast - Roses

These guys define funky. Cannot say enough about Speakerboxxx and The Love Below. I will come back to these guys later.

R. Kelly - Ignition (Remix)

The only remix I like (that I can think of). Gotta thank BigJoe and NUG 2003 in Brissy for this one.

2 Up - Why do I try so hard

This is a culture classic. If you have never heard it, find someone who has it or buy 2 Up's EP 'It Tastes like Chicken'. Great references to Westfield kids trying to act 'Black'. Aussie Hip-Hop at its best.

Usher - Yeah!

Dunno why I like this song, just do. My first recollection of it - 2004 North Road Triple with the Captials vs The Pride. I reckon they played it 10 times at least that night.

On my next post, lets look at some classic rock tracks from my past...

No comments: